General course staff alias: email@example.com. Please use this list for administrative questions.
- Eddie Kohler (firstname.lastname@example.org) Instructor
- Michael D. Smith (email@example.com) Instructor
- Alisha Ukani (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Garrett Tanzer (email@example.com)
- Grace Whitney (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Isaac Struhl (email@example.com)
- Jonathan Chu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Katherine Lou (email@example.com)
- Milan Bhandari (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Miles Fertel (email@example.com)
- Mridu Nanda (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Owen Niles (email@example.com)
- Suriya Kandaswamy (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ted Pyne (email@example.com)
- Tom Wagg (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Extension students wishing to attend section in person are welcome at any section not marked “College students only.” Sections are held biweekly at announced times.
- Monday 8–9:30pm, MD G125 (recorded by DCE)
- Wednesday 12–1:15pm, MD 119
- Wednesday 1:30–2:45pm, NW B166
- Wednesday 8–9:15pm, Pierce 100F
- Thursday 12–1:15pm, Pierce 219
- Friday 3–4:15pm, MD 123
- Sunday 4:30–5:45pm, MD 119
We will have regular weekly office hours, starting Tuesday, 9/6. We will occasionally schedule additional office hours.
Eddie has office hours in MD 327, typically Wednesday afternoons. Check the calendar for specific dates. I’m also often in my office, and if the door is open and I’m available, happy to meet. On most problem set due dates I’ll hold additional OH.
Mike has office hours in MD 219, on Wednesdays 12:30–2:30pm. Check the calendar for changes.
Online extension OH: Join Zoom meetings. Details here.
Use Piazza, a question and answer site for courses. You’ve probably seen it before in other courses. By posting your questions to Piazza, you’ll not only get faster responses from the course staff, but you’ll also be able to get help from other students. We’ll consider your interactions on Piazza as course participation, so good discussions may improve your grade!
To sign up for CS 61 Piazza, visit piazza.com/harvard/fall2019/cs61.
Of course, while you are welcome to discuss general tips and strategies on Piazza and help each other with technical problems, you may not share answers or code. We also encourage you to use Piazza judiciously. Many, if not most, of you are old enough to vote or to drive several-ton death machines on our nation’s roads. That means you’re also old enough to try to solve problems yourselves (you’ll learn more that way).
Administrative questions, problems with specific lines of code, and anything else too sensitive to post publicly should be marked private (for instructors to see only).
While we will endeavor to answer emails and posted questions in a timely fashion, we make no guarantees! Plan on responses taking up to 48 hours. This means that you should not expect immediate answers to emails sent or questions posted the night before homework is due!