9/6/16: Fundamentals 2: Data Representation
- Reading: CS:APP3e Ch 1, 2.1-2.2, 3.11
- Lecture code is in cs61-exercises/fundamentals2
- Reference materials: You may find these video's prepared for last year's class helpful, but remember that last year we were using a 32-bit machine and this year we are using a 64-bit machine. You can watch these at up to 2X speed, so don't let the lengths scare you away.
- Abstractions: A discussion of how the C language provides a different abstraction from that of the actual machine. (33:27)
- Hexadecimal: An introduction/review of binary and hexadecimal representations. (15:27)
- Data Representation: A discussion about how data is represented in C (23:18)
- We strongly encourage you to review this exercise on pointers to make sure you really understand how pointers work.
- Post-Exercise FAQ (Extension students: you might find this helpful if you get stuck on the in-class exercises.)
- Post-class survey: Please fill this out before you leave class.